Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Secret's out


As I'm sitting in the Greenwood library, attempting to come up with a topic for this blog, I can't help but listen to the conversations that are going on around me. Then I got to thinking about all the times I've been in a public place on campus (which is pretty much every location on campus) and I've heard something that I know was not meant for my ears. Whether it's someone talking about a top secret mission on their cell phone, or a group of girls sharing the latest gossip, I CAN HEAR YOU!!! I find it so annoying when people think they are being discrete when they’re actually airing out their dirty laundry to the whole world (or at least whoever is near them). Especially in the computer lab on the first floor of the greenwood library…those mesh barriers that separate each little cubicle are not soundproof! If people are going to talk about stuff that they don’t want anyone else to hear, they should do a better job of whispering. I’ve heard some pretty juicy gossip sitting in D-hall too. But at least D-hall is a little bit noisier than the library so most of the time you can get away with telling secrets out loud. But the library is definitely a no-no. It’s not just the gossip either. People talk about some very interesting things in public that I know they wouldn’t want anyone to hear…things like what a crazy weekend they had, who hooked up with who, or they’ll talk about certain sororities and fraternities without knowing who is sitting around them. I’ve heard way too much information on a few occasions and I just feel like people should have some kind censor on what they discuss “privately” when they’re in a public place. Longwood is a small school and you never know who is listening in on your conversations. But for my sake, I think I’m going to start listening to my iPod when I’m doing school work in the library. I’d rather listen to Lady GaGa than hear about what your pledges did last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment